02 January 2011

Well, really . . .

 . . . of course, it begins now - in the preparations. And I am not nearly prepared. The first anxiety that comes to mind is suppression, as in Christianity suppression. I wonder how much suppressing my being a Christian in public will equate to having suppressed my being gay in public. That is not the only thing, of course -- for instance, do I wear my Celebrate Diversity tee-shirts? They have a fishbowl with multi-colored fish. Would that be appropriate? India is a religiously pluralistic society (unless you're Christian), but what about other forms of diversity? The fish have colors, not sex organs . . . but still, just how far can an African/Native American woman voice her thoughts on diversity in a culture where everyday society is determined by what the men think? 


Having to wear long skirts everyday . . . that seems easy compared to all the questions I have, even before I get there.


On the homestead side, my partner's being incredibly calm about this trip. I'm guessing that we'll both be quite teary when Send-Off Day gets here. I'm glad that LTS has a system for updating families, with each leg of the journey. I'm going to get her a stein in Germany, on the trip back. And I'm planning to send her postcards. I'm hoping it will make the separation a little bit easier, although it won't be easy enough til I get home. I'm glad that she'll have someone here on campus to hang out with when times get tough for the both of them. We as a group have made suggestions, too, for how LTS can support at-home family, both on and off campus. I think it's great that staff is willing to be supportive to families at home. Now, if I could just get them to pay for half this trip, seeing as how it's required and not elective . . .   


I'm hoping to post on here, at least every other day. Hopefully, there'll be pics, too. 


Til next time,
Keep your knees and shoulders covered, don't drink the water, and no cowburgers -- even and especially if they run out in the middle of the road toward you.

2 comments:

Frogspond said...

Glad to see this blog Sis!

Journeys 2011 said...

Yips! Glad you got through! :D